AI and AY
Common Core standards
- Space Aces is a fun printable file folder game that can be used for any vowel dipthong. The board is pretty and students love the rocket cards. The catches are that there are only 6 words for each vowel dipthong so you will definitely need to add more words. Also, reading the words is pretty easy for most students, so you can add in another layer where one partner reads the word to the other and the second student has to spell it. It gets both partners engaged. There are no clear rules on what happens if you finish the “mission” so come up with something like spaceships for them to x out every time they spell a word correctly to give the game more of a point.
- BBC Schools Words and Pictures has a variety of printable classroom activities and games that focus on vowel dipthongs and long vowel patterns. Activities include phonics board games, make your own poems activities and silly sentence strips.
|Professor Garfield Long A has students match words (like brain) to pictures and then reads a silly sentence that uses that word.|
|BBC Poem Pack AI is honestly fairly lame—it reads a silly poem to the kids and then has them search for words with AI in them. BBC Poem Pack AY is the same thing for the AY pattern.|
|Sadlier-Oxford Phonics Games. Honestly, the really fun games seem to stop with B-U-G but there are at least a wide variety of levels of activities on this site.|
|Spellzone AI Spelling Games has four different games ready to go. Spell Zone Against the Clock Spelling has students spell the missing word in a sentence. The words are read to them but the sentences and the graphics make it a good game for older students. Spellzone Word Search has students solve a word search. Spell Zone Bouncing Anagrams makes students unscramble words by clicking the bouncy balls in the right order. Finally, Spell Zone Which Witch? is a variation on hangman.|
|Spellzone AY Spelling Games has four different games ready to go. Spell Zone Against the Clock Spelling has students spell the missing word in a sentence. The words are read to them but the sentences and the graphics make it a good game for older students. Spellzone Word Search has students solve a word search. Spell Zone Bouncing Anagrams makes students unscramble words by clicking the bouncy balls in the right order. Finally, Spell Zone Which Witch? is a variation on hangman.|
- Mixed worksheets
- School Express Long Vowel Worksheets has a variety of AI and AY worksheets. Some are suitable for younger students only, but others are good practice for any age. There are a lot of ads on the page, but the sheets are free and easy to print.
- Tools for Educators lets you create your own crosswords, wordsearches, mazes, domino games and choose the correct spelling worksheets.
- Fun Fonix lets you create a wide variety of workshets from build a word to spelling sheets to word searches. You can choose what phonics level you want and customize words and pictures on the sheets. Pretty cool. It’s the same worksheets as Tools for Educators, but with phonics levels and a better picture selection.
- AI worksheets
- First School Year’s AI Crossword
- First School Year’s AI Decoder
- First School Year’s AI Wordsearch
- First School Year’s AI Word Bank
- First School Years AI Missing Vowels Worksheet
- Steps 2 Learning has five different phonics worksheets on AI. About half are clearly aimed at younger students, but two of them are usable for older students as well.
- BBC School's Write Your Own AI Poem Worksheet
- BBC School's Guess the Picture AI Worksheet
- AY worksheets
|The Electric Company PSTar AI and AY Rap is a little old school but still decent.|
|The Electric Company Shock the Butcher AI has a butcher chopping up lots of AI words. Kind of strange.|
- Go watch this video [google.com]
Word Way has an excellent variety of illustrated stories, word cards, worksheets, and other resources. Occasionally they change what materials are free and what are for sale, which changes the URL. If any of these links are dead, go to their Digraph Drive page which has the master links.
- They have family sets for a variety of word families. Each set has over twenty pages of illustrated stories, word cards, worksheets, and activities. Here are the families they have:
- Wordway Toons AIL Family Set
- Their link for the AIN family is broken right now, but if you click on it from the Digraph Drive page, maybe it will work.
- They also have decodable books and word cards.
<w4grb_ratinglist toppages items="10" notitle category="AI and AY product"/>