Common core standards
- Isolate and pronounce the initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in three-phoneme (consonant-vowel-consonant, or CVC) words CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.K.2d
- (This does not include CVCs ending with /l/, /r/, or /x/.)
- Isolate and pronounce initial, medial vowel, and final sounds (phonemes) in spoken single-syllable words CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RF.1.2c
- Initial sounds
- Medial sounds
- Final sounds
- Sound substitution and omission
- Count sounds and syllables
- Blend, segment and stretch words
- Discriminating between long and short vowels
- BBC Schools has a sound catcher game. On their turn, students roll a consonant die. They have to find the word on their board that has that medial sound. They cover it with the correct "sound catcher"
- Mrs. Diminie has put words mats for each medial vowel sound online. The mats have the picture of the word and then three boxes below. You can use it as an Elkonin box activity or with magnetic letters. There are three pictures for each letter.
- Phonological Awareness Meet in the Middle cards and sets of three cards for each vowel sound. Students sort the cards by vowel sound and practice saying the sounds. There are more directions on how to play on Phonological Awareness.
- Name That Sound Words from Phonological Awareness are a nice list of words for Name That Sound. For that game, you say three words with the same medial vowel sound. The student who correctly identifies the sound gets to call on the students for the next round.
- Say It Loud Words from Phonological Awareness are CVC words that can be used for a kinesthetic take on medial vowels. Three children come to the front. Each child says one of the sounds of the word, standing up as they do. The initial and final sounds students have to use quiet voices, but the medial vowel student gets to be loud.
- Phonological Awareness Memory Cards are memory cards with pairs of medial vowel sounds. Students have to match the sounds, not the words. There are pictures on each card to help. Print on cardstock.
Cyber games and activities
|ICT Games CVC POP has students choose their medial vowel. Then, the program says a word and students have to find it as it floats across the screen and pop it. Not as cool as it sounds, but okay.|
|ReadWriteThink Picture Match has students choose medial vowels, initial sounds or long vowels to play with. They then have to put a picture in the box with the right letter.|
- Fun Fonix Book 1 is an entire downloadable book of medial vowel worksheets. There are also links for you to print individual pages if you don't want a whole book.
- BBC Schools Medial E Worksheet has students color in the words in the picture with a medial e sound.
- BBC Schools Medial 1I Worksheet has students connect the letters to make the word that describes a picture.
- BBC Schools Medial U Worksheet has students write the word that describes the picture.
- BBC Schools Medial O Worksheet has students find the picture of words that rhyme with OG.
- Primary Topics Medial Vowels Worksheet 1has students put the missing medial vowel in a word.
- Primary Topics Medial Vowels Worksheet 2has students put the missing medial vowel in a word.
- Primary Topics Medial Vowels Worksheet 3has students put the missing medial vowel in a word.